THE FRANK SCHLAEFER HOME
N116W15775 Main St
In 1840, when Frank was a small boy, he emigrated with his parents from Bavaria. The family arrived in Milwaukee in 1841. He grew up on his father's farm, known as Pleasant Hill, in Germantown. After his marriage he continued farming until he became employed in the manufacturing of lime. The lime he produced was known to be of excellent quality and found a market at Milwaukee, Chicago and other points along the lines of railroad. In 1902 Frank built this beautiful tri-gabled ell Victorian with its clapboard siding and fish scale detail. Unfortunately there were attempts to modernize the exterior with asphalt siding over the years. It has since been removed and has been lovingly restored to its original beauty.
This home received Germantown Historic Designation in 2015