THE JACOB SCHLAEFER HOMESTEAD
W156N11685 Pilgrim Rd.
Jacob and Catherine along with their young son Frank emigrated from Bavaria. They sailed on the ship named Louis Philipe from the port in Le Havre France, arriving at the port of New York in March of 1840. In September of 1841 at the General Land Office in Milwaukee,he purchased a forty acre parcel in Section 22. A log cabin was constructed. Then in 1856 this gabled ell farmhouse was built. The house has recognizable farmhouse design elements; it has two stories, a gabled roof, white clapboard siding and covered porches. It is an architectural hybrid of varying styles that incorporates details from the Greek Revival, Classic Revival, Georgian & Victorian eras. Practical and pleasant in design it could be easily expanded by adding a wing as they prospered and families became larger.
This homestead received Germantown Historic Designation in 2014